Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Random Acts of Christmas Kindness: Day 1

So today was day 1 of my “12 days of random acts of kindness”, and it was awesome. I spent a lot of my day brainstorming some ideas for the rest of the 12 days and thinking about what I would do today. I decided that for tomorrow I would bake some cookies for our landlord, so I ran out to the grocery to get the cookie dough. While waiting in the check out line, I picked up a Food Lion gift card and decided that would be my random act of kindness for the day. I got to the cashier, paid for my dough, and got $10 put on the gift card. Meanwhile, in line behind me was a cute older lady who had a good amount of groceries. Before walking away, I turned to the lady, handed her the gift card and told her Merry Christmas. Her reaction was worth more than $10, for sure. She let out a little gasp and looked totally surprised. She kept saying “Seriously? Is this for me? Are you serious?” And after I assured her that it was for her, and wished her Merry Christmas a few more times, she began to cry. I knew I had to get out of there before I started crying, so I gave her a smile and walked away. As I was walking out I could hear the cashier saying “Wow. Wow. That was so nice. I can’t believe that just happened. That was so nice.”

Lesson of the day. It seems like a little kindness can go a long way. I hope that the cahier and the lady are inspired to maybe do something good for others this holiday season. I honestly can’t wait for tomorrow and another random act of kindness!





PS- I have already heard from 2 people that they've been inspired to do the same! Can't wait to hear about it!

2 comments: