Friday, December 30, 2011

The Loss of a Friend

Today I experienced a nursing school first. I found out that my first patient died. She was on hospice when I was assigned to her and was 91 years old, and we knew she wouldn’t live forever. Honestly, there were days when I’d show up for clinical half expecting her to be gone. But she was always there, with her one closed eye and crooked smile; with her constant singing of “Take It Off” and “Take Me Out to the Ball Game”; with her love of hair appointments and BINGO and hatred of her bed alarm and having to use the “hoppa”. She was a sweet and funny old lady with tons of personality in her little body. And the best part was that she was a former 2nd grade teacher, so she was always willing to let me learn. She was patient with me as I gave my first shower, my first bedpan, my first tooth brushing, and my first bed bath. She was patient and always told me how I was doing. I will always remember her, because of her unique personality, but also because she was my first patient as a nursing student. I’m sad that she’s gone. She died last Thursday, apparently, and didn’t even make it to Christmas. I bet she loved Christmas, with all the sugary treats and presents and special activities. She may be my first patient to pass, and I know she won’t be my last, but a little part of her will always stay in my heart. Rest In Peace, friend. Thank you for being a good teacher, all the way up until the very end.

1 comment:

  1. What a neat post, she sounded like a wonderful woman! It's people like that who really make an impact on your life, no matter how great their time with you was -- Glad to hear your nursing experiences are going well, Brooke! You are going to make a fabulous nurse :)

    Enjoy your new years, love!!

    xoxo.

    ReplyDelete