Monday, September 19, 2011

The Heart Walk: 3.2 miles completed!

Hey yall! So, Saturday was the Charlotte Heart Walk, and I did it! With lots of support and help I raised $370 for the American Heart Association. The day started at 7:45am when me, Lindsey, Dinah, and Bo all gathered at our apartment to ride over together. I think we were all pretty shocked when we walked outside! I was wearing pants, a long sleeved shirt, and a jacket and I was still cold! We had a little bit of trouble finding parking, but Bo saved the day. When we finally got to the actual site, there were what appeared to be a bajillion people. And they were all dressed in red. Oops, I didn’t get that memo. There were also a ton of dogs, which was fun and adorable. We had a few minutes to kill before the walk actually started so we took some pictures and grabbed some free food. Then it started to drizzle. So there we were, in the middle of a bajillion people in downtown Charlotte, in the cold rain. Yall, I’m not exaggerating when I say you could see your breath. It was pretty gross out. Finally the walk started and everyone was lined up at the start line. Because there were so many people and the route wasn’t super well planned, there were a few times when the walk was more of a shuffle. All in all the walk was fun though! And I didn’t even pass out! By mile 1 I started getting a little bit warmer and could feel my ears again. There were definitely some uphill spots that made things a little difficult, but overall it was much easier than I thought it would be (especially with the rain and cool temperatures). But I did it! 3.2 miles complete. And I know it’s nothing extraordinary, but it made me happy. I’m happy that I raised money for a good cause and went out there and did something. So again, THANK YOU to everyone who supported me and donated. I really appreciate all of you!

2 comments:

  1. brooke, yeah! congratulations! :) this is the first blog entry that i'm reading of yours, and it truly made me laugh because i literally believed that nobody else in the world used the word "bajillion" in that exact spelling. haha! gwendolyn will be doing a race next month, and i'll be blogging about it soon! very nice to meet you! :) xx http://www.nicoleandgwendolyn.com

    ReplyDelete