Friday, September 2, 2011

Follow Friday: The Heart Walk

Happy Friday, yall! This weeks Follow Friday is gonna be a little selfish as I promote the American Heart Walk! I will be walking in the heart walk in 2 weeks on September 17th here in Charlotte, NC.

Here is a little bit of back story about my personal connection to the Heart Walk. 
In March of 2009, I experienced a few episodes of passing out, general shortness of breath, and other various symptoms. After visiting a few doctors, the cardiologist finally found that I have an ASD, or atrial septal defect. We figured that now that we knew what was wrong, we would be able to control the symptoms. Unfortunately, in February 2010 I visited the Emergency Room 6 times in a single month. I was having more frequent and more intense episodes of passing out. At this point I was unable to go to school and took a medical leave of absense for the semester. It wasn't until May of that year that I was diagnosed with POTS, or Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome, which is a form of dysautonomia. Pretty much my heart and my brain don't communicate to each other very well which causes my blood pressure to drop and my heart rate to speed up.
So in 2 weeks I will be participating in the Heart Walk to raise money for the American Heart Association. Walking 3 miles might be a challenge for me, as my body tries to rebel with any form of physical activity. But still I am excited to be joining other people, including my roommate, to walk for the AHA. My goal was to raise $300 by the day of the walk and so far I have gotten $110. I don't usually like asking friends and family for money, but I know that this is a worthy cause. If there is any way you could financially contribute, I would be so appreciative. If you can't donate at this time, that's okay too! Even just spreading the word could be a great help. You never know who will be willing to donate. And remember, every dollar counts. Seriously.

I am so thankful for you guys and I can't wait to update yall on how the walk goes!

Here is a link to my donation page: http://heartwalk.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=456696&lis=1&kntae456696=01F9411F3411449FA85C51DA4E4C5B73&supId=332972661
                                                          THANKS FOR VISITING!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with the walk! I think your personal strength is amazing. I hope you reach your donation goal!

    ReplyDelete