Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Life Always Knows the Right Moments...

“There are certain people who aren’t meant to fit into your life no matter how much you want them to.”

I found this quote randomly a few weeks ago and it has really stuck with me. When I first read it, I sort of felt like I was being punched in the stomach. Wake up call? Definately. As you could tell in one of my last posts about memories, I enjoy holding on to the past. If I meet someone once, I try to keep in touch. If something good happened to me 5 years ago, I continue to think about it. It’s a blessing and a curse, really. But I have always found the concept of letting go very hard, whether it be an object, a memory, or a person (in fact my fear of abandonment could be a whoooole different post, but I will spare you the details). However, more and more I am coming to realize that I cannot and will not stay in touch with everyone I have ever met. It is not possible nor healthy. There are people who come into our lives, serve their purpose for a time, and go. I have a hard time with that last part-the going part. I think that I am finally starting to realize that it is okay to let people go, especially if they have already let you go. It does not mean that the memories you share from the past are going away. It means that this person has come into your life for a reason, and cannot remain in your life for a reason as well. In my life there are some cases where I have to be okay with letting go of some people because I am holding on to a relationship that I have valued far more than they have. And in some cases, it is mentally unhealthy to keep hoping that this person will attempt to fit in your life, when they have showed you no signs of trying.

Anyways, I know this all sounds like rambling and beating around the bush, but if you get nothing else out of this post, just know that it is okay to let go of something that isn’t there anymore. Just because it isn’t good now, doesn’t mean it wasn’t good then.

No comments:

Post a Comment