Sunday, January 23, 2011

Music & Memories

So, I was in the bathroom putting on makeup and getting ready for the day, and my computer was in my room playing music. I had my iTunes on shuffle and had been enjoying the random assortment of songs that had been playing. And then it happened. The one song that I have not been able to listen to in 3 years came on and I can honestly say I don’t think I have ever sprinted that fast. I knocked over my whole makeup bag and ran into a wall trying to get to my computer to change the song.
So why is it that songs can evoke such strong memories and emotions? And will these songs be associated with a memory or feeling forever? I’m sure if I wanted to I could make new memories, better memories, and associate them with the song. But for some reason I like having that one song that I can’t listen to. On days when I’m sad, I will tease myself by playing the first few seconds of it. It’s kind of like emotional cutting. [I in no way endorse any kind of physical cutting, P.S.]. So, I’m pretty sure as long as time goes on most Spice Girls songs will remind me of Sarah, S Club will remind me of Paige, Love Shack (Muskrat Love, Billie Jean, I Think We’re Alone, Ice Ice Baby, I Believe in a Thing Called Love) will remind me of Lindsey, and that one song will remind me of that one time in my life that I can’t think about. Hmmm…

“You know what music is? God's little reminder that there's something else besides us in this universe, a harmonic connection between all living beings, every where, even the stars.”

No comments:

Post a Comment