Wednesday, August 17, 2011

My Love Letter to Wilmington

“Every ending is a new beginning waiting to happen”.

In a little over 48 hours I will be moving. This transition in my life is much different than the transition from high school to college (and I’d have to say that that one was much more difficult). This transition is just strange. Yes, I moved away from home 4 years ago to live at Elon, but this time feels different. When I moved into college, I knew I would be home on weekends and for every break. This time feels more like I’m moving on and moving out. Of course I will still come back to Wilmington, the place I have lovingly called home for all 22 years of my life. But when I come back will my bedroom still be here? Will my parents still be living in the same house? Will my friends be here? I feel like I will be coming for visits rather than coming home, and that is so strange to me. So, as a little send off, I decided to write my love letter to Wilmington, as my way of saying ’tah tah for now!’
Dear Wilmington,
22 years ago I was born at the NHRMC Hospital. 22 years later, I drive past that same hospital quite frequently. I’m thankful for the Wilmington winters; the mildly cold temperatures, slight chances of snow, almost definite school cancellations and delays, the world’s largest “Christmas tree”, and Santa-led horse and carriage rides. I’m thankful for the Wilmington springs; the flowers blooming everywhere, the chance to walk along Wrightsville or Carolina beach, and the Azalea Festival and all the traditions and beauty that come along with it. I’m thankful for the Wilmington summers; the numerous delicious ice cream shops, the beauty of the beach and the history of downtown and the riverfront, cruises in the Henrietta, the most amazing 4th of July fireworks (which are best seen from the rooftop of the Murchenson’s building), the Sounds of Summer concerts, the hurricanes (accompanied by a fabulous hurricane party), and the many opportunities to spot local filming. And I’m thankful for Wilmington autumns; the relief from the heat, the Poplar Grove fall festival, the fall coffee specials at Port City Java, the Pendergrass Farms pumpkin patch, and the smell of the caramel apples and cider lingering around Kilwins. You are the perfect town, not too big and not too small. And as much as I love you I will not miss your traffic, the constant smell of sewer on Greenville Loop Road, the ridiculous and often pointless road construction, the smothering heat and humidity, and the crappy mall. I may be moving and leaving you now, and I may not come back to live here for a while. But no matter how far I go or what I end up doing, you will always be my home- the place where I have had my absolute best and absolute worst memories. The place where I met most of my best friends and the setting for my amazing childhood. So, this is not goodbye, sweet Wilms, but rather “tah tah for now”.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment