Monday, June 6, 2011

A Letter to My Younger Self

So, I’m home from Myrtle 2 weeks earlier than expected (long story, not getting into it). But this means I have had more time at home to hang out with family and friends. Today I happened to pull out the old video recorder and decided to take a stroll down memory lane. I watched myself evolve from a tiny (and ugly) 2 month old to a long, skinny 17 year old. It was weird to watch this little girl and I had to keep reminding myself that the little girl was me. There were so many times when I caught myself laughing and thinking “haha, what a cute little girl,” or “ugh, that kid is so whiny.” The videos made me happy and sad all at the same time. They made me happy because I had such a great childhood with amazing parents who clearly loved me so much. Plus, it was the late 80’s/early 90’s…the outfits were fabulous. They made me sad because I can’t ever go back. I can’t ever go back to a time when my biggest worry was that my bow didn’t match my dress, or I forgot how to tie my shoes. The days of playing beanie babies, easy bake oven, and Barbies are over. There were also so many times I wanted to take the girl in the videos and shake her and tell her to hold her chin up or sit up straight.
This got me thinking that I wanted to write a letter to younger me. So here it is:
Dear younger Brooke,
Today you are 21 years old and hopefully a little bit wiser than you were in elementary school. I still have a lot of life left and a lot of things to learn, but in my 21 years this is what I have learned so far, and I want to share it with you. Little Brooke, don’t be afraid to get dirty. Paint, dirt, and sand are all washable, so go play! Dress up for spirit days. It’s okay to dress goofy, especially if there is a reason and it’s okay to stand out sometimes. Don’t wear dresses everyday- it makes it harder to play on the playground, and that is something you don’t want to miss out on. Don’t hit and don’t boss others around. Always be kind, and smile more often. You are a funny person, but people won’t get to see that if you are being bossy and mean. Don’t take naps for granted. Never fight a nap. Take them as often as possible. When you are in high school and college, you will wish you had nap time. Don’t stand on the sidelines. Participate in activities and games. Don’t let fear hold you back. The scary things aren’t so scary once you try them. So at your 3rd birthday party, get in the pool with your friends and stop standing on the side. At your kindergarten picnic, play the field day games and stop standing on the side. Don’t be afraid to participate in life. Because whether you are jumping in or standing on the side, life is happening all the time. Be kind to yourself when you are younger. It’s much harder to do once you get older. And Brooke, don’t keep straight bangs until 10th grade. Seriously.

2 comments:

  1. haha i love the last part about the bangs! you should save this in case you ever have a daughter, it's empowering!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! Hopefully if I have a daughter, I won't make her have bangs! ;)

    ReplyDelete