Saturday, June 25, 2011

Label Jars Not People

Spread the word to end the word! Take the pledge.
The R-word, “retard,” is slang for mentally retarded. Mental retardation used to refer to significant intellectual impairment. However, today the r-word has become a common word used by society as an insult for someone stupid. So what’s wrong with the R-word?
1. The R-word is exclusive. It takes a group of people with intellectual disabilities and separates them from everyone else.
2. The R-word ignores individuality. Everyone is different and special in their own ways. Why do we feel the need to classify people?
3. The R-word equates intellectual disability with being dumb or stupid. It implies that the only characteristic of a person who is mentally handicapped is their mental capacity.
4. The R-word hurts. Words hurt. And when you say ‘retard’ or ‘retarded’ you are spreading hurt.
5. The R-word is offensive. It emphasizes negative stereotypes surrounding people with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
6. The R-word is incorrect. Intellectual disability. Mentally challenged. Developmentally impaired. NOT retarded.
7. The R-word is derogatory. Because it has become a casual description of anything negative or flawed, the word ‘retarded’ now has a negative connotation and is hurtful.
8. The R-word is hate speech. The dehumanization of people, the mockery, is just another form of hate.

Growing up, I always knew my family was different. It was not until I was a little bit older that I came to understand that my aunt had Down Syndrome. She was such a funny woman with a very unique personality. She loved pudding and playing cards more than anyone I knew! Although she was different and what some people might consider “retarded”, she was still a person. She was someone’s daughter, someone’s sister, someone’s aunt. Unfortunately, when I was in the 7th grade, she passed away. In 12th grade, I did my senior project about inclusion and disabilities and put together a game night at the local YMCA for children with and without intellectual disabilities, so that they could come together and play and understand that we are all more alike than we are different. And it’s that exact message that I want to spread still today. So instead of spreading hate and the r-word, let’s spread inclusion and the thought that we are all unique and special in our own ways! Spread the word to end the word!

3 comments:

  1. I agree completely that the r word is used way too often. It's not right and very disrespectful. In my ECE classes, a big topic is using "people first language". Would you mind if I linked to this at my blog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWESOME!!!!!!!
    I blogged about tbis at the beginning of the year, and urged people to take the pledge :) SOOOOO happy you posted about this. I feel frustrated when I see people using this word, as I don't think they fully understand the rectification of it : / I have a cousin who has down syndrome and being a future special educator, this is my passion!!

    ♥ youuuu, Brooke!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa- feel free to link this!
    Erin- I didn't know you were doing special education. That was what I started as too! Love it.

    ReplyDelete