Monday, November 7, 2011

and that's a wrap on the Rivercourt...

"Good evening ladies and gentleman and welcome to another historic evening.." And that’s a wrap on the Rivercourt. One Tree Hill ending feels like more than just a TV show ending, it feels like an era ending. Ya know how people said that the end of Harry Potter was like the end of their childhood? I kind of feel the same way. OTH started when I was 13. I was a baby freshman in high school and didn’t really know who I was. 9 years later, I’m 22 years old; I’ve finished high school, graduated from college, moved away from home, and am now in nursing school. 9 years later I have a much better understanding of who I am. It’s amazing how much can change in 9 years. Growing up is not an option, and yet watching old episodes of One Tree Hill where the young cast is hanging out on the Rivercourt truly does bring me back to my high school days. There is something so cool about watching a character transform from a young high school student, to a responsible adult. There’s something about watching the transformation that makes it seem easier and more acceptable. I know it sounds silly, and I know it’s just a TV show. But it’s my town and my friends and my job for the last few years. And something about it ending makes me feel like it’s time to grow up, like a part of my childhood/teenage years are ending too. It’s an amazing TV show with an even more amazing cast and crew. I love walking around my Wilmington and running into filming, or even going to work with a hilarious and hardworking crew. They’ve been here for 9 years. For 9 years the Self Help building has been Clothes Over Bros/Karens Café. For 9 years the little patch of pavement by the Battleship has been the Rivercourt. For 9 years this show, these people, this cast and crew, these fans, have sucked me in and gotten me so emotionally involved in “the little show that could”.

1 comment:

  1. Now I'm emotional (again), lol. You've summed up OTH perfectly. I can imagine for you being a local it sending is even more surreal than it is for a non local.

    ReplyDelete