Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Happy Birthday, Mam!

My mother. Crazy. Tiny. Loud. Silly. Hard working.

Today is my wonderful mother’s 50th birthday! Like any other mother/daughter duo, my mom and I don’t always get along and we’ve definitely had our share of fights and arguments. But I know that I would not be who I am today without my mother. Growing up, my mom drove me to every dance practice and stayed and watched every day. She helped make all of my costumes and volunteered at my studio so that she could spend more time with me. She woke up early every weekend to travel with me to dance competitions. She was my girl scout troop leader. She led the school book fair. She traveled with my 6th grade class on a field trip to Raleigh. She came to every cross country and track meet. She drove me to all of my away meets. On my second weekend away at college, she drove up late at night because I called her with a cold. However, I think what really stands out to me when I think of amazing mom moments is my spring semester during my sophomore year of high school. When I was 15, I went crazy. Seriously. You can read about it here. I was crazy and emotional and a total disaster, and still my mom put up with me. Actually, she more than put up with me. She loved me through it all. She sat with me as I cried, she drove me to doctors appointments and sat in the waiting room for me while I sat in the car and waited. She went on walks with me to get me out of the house. She spent countless amounts of money on me via doctors appointments, medicines, and relaxation tapes. She sat in the car in the school parking lot for hours, just so I could feel safe knowing someone was close by. She met with all of my teachers and explained the situation. She helped me get through the hardest year of my life, and never complained.

So yes, my mom and I might fight sometimes. But who else would I call at 6am when I‘m up and walking to class? Who else would I call to sing “Bust A Move” to? Who else would sing me Silent Night just to cheer me up? Who else would dance to the Gilmore Girls theme song with me? Who else would I share all my silliest moments with? So here’s to 50 nifty years of mama! Happy Birthday to her!


 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment