Thursday, January 19, 2012

Things that I am too old for...

When you are younger, you dream of growing up. Driving, going out without parents, making your own decisions, eating whatever you want, whenever you want. Well, reality check…growing up is not all that it’s cracked up to be. Don’t get me wrong, there are definite freedoms and advantages that come along with growing up. But there are also a greater number of responsibilities. Plus, apparently after the age of 21 you are too old to do any of the really fun stuff (except rent a car, which is super annoying). So, I’ve compiled a list of things that, at the age of 22, I am now too old to do.

1. Be adopted by Ellen Degeneres and Portia de Rossi. Because apparently when you turn 18, you are legally an “adult”. So I guess my dreams of sitting around the dinner table telling Ellen and Portia about my day at school is probably never gonna come true.

2. Be a Disney Channel star. Okay, this one is debatable. Although I’m 22, I look pretty young, so it’s probably not my age holding me back from being a Disney star. It’s probably more my lack of talent. But I’m gonna go ahead and blame it on my age, for self esteem reasons.

3. Not have a boyfriend. I’m 22 and my biological clock (and mainly society) is telling me that it’s not okay to be single at this point in my life.

4. SCOUTED. I don’t know if you’ve seen the show Scouted on E! but it’s about girls who get discovered in malls and restaurants and then go on to New York for a photo shoot. They get their hair done and beautiful make up and fabulous outfits. All in all it looks pretty awesome. Sounds glamorous right? Well, apparently the age cutoff if 21. Because I guess after that you’re all dried up and wrinkly and old anyways. Now, I’m 5’4’’ and I’m definitely no model, but I like having my options, ok?

5. College. I would sell a vital organ to be in college again. But nooooo, I had to get all old and graduate. Lame.

6. Be excited about driving. Imagine this. You’re 16 and you just got your license. You are begging your friends and parents to let you drive them somewhere. Flash forward to 22. You are begging your friends and parents to drive you places again. Because driving sucks.

7. Ignorance. You know the saying “ignorance is bliss”? I guarantee that someone came up with that after watching the news a few times. Seriously, if you turn on the news all you hear about it murders, kidnappings, crazy gas prices, global warming, natural disasters, or our seemingly failing government. But because I’m 22, I can’t really just pretend these things aren’t happening. I have a responsibility to be a participating member of society, and I can’t participate well if I don’t know the facts. How nice would it be to be a kid again and not have to worry about all this junk!

So there you have it, folks. Maybe for my next blog, I'll post the good things about growing up. Just to balance it out.


“When you're young, your whole life is about the pursuit of fun. Then, you grow up and learn to be cautious. You could break a bone or a heart. You look before you leap and sometimes you don't leap at all because there's not always someone there to catch you. And in life, there's no safety net. When did it stop being fun and start being scary?” -Sex and the City
 












1 comment:

  1. LOVE this. Funny but true. I'm older than 22 but not yet 30 and I can relate to some of this stuff, so imagine my horror... Ha ha.

    ReplyDelete